Sartorial Resolutions

Happy January, my dears! I am really on a resolutions kick, aren’t I? To continue, today I would like to make a few style resolutions. I may be able to put a room together, but when it comes to my own outfits I am sorely lacking. Especially since having a child, I have been really letting my sartorial sense go. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I was really happy with an outfit I was wearing, and I’ve had about enough of that. To illustrate my resolutions, I’ve chosen a few favorite images from Kendi Everyday – don’t you just love her?

Sartorial Resolution #1: Practice the “rule of 3″

Have you heard about the “rule of three”? It states that adding a third item to your outfit (scarf/jacket/cardigan/etc.) is what makes it look pulled-together. Yes, I definitely need to do that.

Sartorial Resolution #2: Try new shapes.

I tend to reach for the same types of things when I go shopping. What’s the point of that? Next time I shop I resolve to try on a few things a bit outside my comfort zone. A long skirt looks fun and comfy for spring, don’t you think?

Sartorial Resolution #3: Wear more dresses.

They’re cute, and so easy. With thick tights and boots they work right through winter, and in summer there is nothing simpler or more chic than a sundress with flat leather sandals.

Sartorial Resolution #4: Wear a signature color.

I am thinking red. Whether in a small dose like shoes or a main piece like a coat, red cheers me up so why not make it a regular part of my wardrobe – what to reach for when I need a little boost. : )

Sartorial Resolution #5: Develop a few go-to casual running around looks.

Let’s face it, I am the mom of an active toddler. Most of my life is spent chasing him around, and I need clothes that work for playgrounds, playgroups, grocery shopping, and other mundane things – but that’s no reason I can’t also look cute and stylish, right?

So, those are my top 5 style resolutions for 2012…now I want to hear yours! xo Laura

(all images: Kendi Everyday)

• Sarah January 5, 2012, 11:23 am

I’m so on board – although you always look cute! I’m hoping my new hair cut starts a domino affect!

• Lolalina January 6, 2012, 5:57 am

You are too kind! Good luck with the new cut – I can’t wait to see it, I’m sure it will be fabulous! xo

• Emma at The Marion House Book January 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

I love this post! Simple rules that are easy to implement. Thanks for the great ideas.
    Emma at The Marion House Book´s last [type] ..new pure green

• Kristen January 6, 2012, 1:32 am

I really love these resolutions you’re writing about – what a unique way to take on the whole resolution concept! :-) I guess my fashion resolution would be to take more chance, for sure. During the way I work at a place where no one cares what I wear, so it’s often hard to get inspired, but I’m really going to try and make more of an effort! For me. Oh and how I love Kendi! I was so busy looking at the pictures in this post (even though I read her blog too so I’d seen them before at some point) that I had to scroll back up and read the rest of the post. And I love that second picture. That’s how I dress most days, but she always manages to make everything look 100% better! Great post! :-)
    Kristen´s last [type] ..The New Yorker and Cats

• gaia• Illustration January 6, 2012, 11:20 am

I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately. My Mother-in-Law asked for a personal stylist for Christmas and one of things we ended up getting her was a session with these gals:
    http://www.thestylementors.com I’m totally jealous!
    gaia• Illustration´s last [type] ..Happy New Year! + Yayoi Kusama

• gaia• Illustration January 6, 2012, 11:23 am

Oh I meant to add that wearing more dresses is one of my goals too! I’ve found that American Apparel’s thigh high knit socks over tights make dresses bearable in the winter:)
    gaia• Illustration´s last [type] ..Happy New Year! + Yayoi Kusama