Ah, the cozy feeling of a rainy day at home! :) I have the windows open so I can hear the pitter pat of the rain while I type, and my mind is being led to think of ways to create more comfort and warmth in my home. Over the past two years I have really focused on getting the “basics” in place – main furniture pieces, painting the walls, etc. Now, I feel ready to move on to the more decorative elements: art, pretty lamps, candlesticks, soft sculpture, pillows and poufs. In other words, the fun stuff! I am still not going shopping any time soon, but I at least feel ready to begin planning my next purchases, so I am ready whenever I feel I can afford a little splurge on house + home.
Ceramic candlesticks from Impressionen
I think it is so important to plan and have a wish list, so when you do spend your hard-earned dollars it is on something you absolutely love and cherish. While I love a great bargain or DIY project, I also am of a mind that it’s worth it to occasionally save up for something extra special that will stand the test of time. In my home I am craving a handmade touch, white ceramics with a Euro feel, “granny” crochet, quirky tea cups, inspirational books with pretty covers, softies, simple chunky wood lamps, and art pieces by some of my favorite artists.
- Jeu de Paumes books from Japan for inspiration – these have been on my wish list forever!
- A crochet rug in a fun colorway would add a comfy handmade touch.
- I have had my eye on this wood architect’s lamp since spying one on Holly’s desk.
- These overturned tea cup lights are so charming – I love having candles lit while I work.
- A handmade bird from this lovely lady would make me smile every day.
- I could literally hang any one of Sarah Ahearn Bellemare’s prints or paintings in my home.
Oh, and I should add one more thing to this list: white floors! Even after taking into account the cleaning and upkeep considerations, I still feel it would be worth it. We are already a no-shoes house, and I personally don’t mind spending time keeping my floors clean – it is actually one of my pet peeves anyway. Plus, whenever I imagine painting my floors white I get a huge smile on my face! :) What are you craving more of in your home right now? Or alternatively, is there something you are craving less of? I would love to hear. xo Laura
(images: linked to sources above)