Chic & Modern Kitchen Update Ideas

Yesterday I sat down with my calendar like a true crazy pregnant lady with full-blown nesting instincts and scheduled out the next 6 weekends worth of home projects. Would you like to hear what I have planned so you can laugh your head off and tell me I am crazy for trying to do too much before the baby comes? Okay…

This weekend we will be painting our basement, next week my Dad and Stepmom will come help us paint the kitchen and nursery, the week after that we take a break to celebrate our anniversary (see, I’m not completely nuts!), then we have a gardening weekend, after that we make a trip to Ikea & begin setting up the nursery, and finally, paint our own bedroom. Phew.

Now, I admit that I am not looking forward to the painting – but I am looking forward to having it done. For those of you out there who have children, did you experience this sort of nesting madness? Any tips or advice to share? I have already heard from one reader who slipped and fell while tackling a home improvement project while pregnant and broke a bone…so I promise I will be very, very careful and get lots of help from my sweet husband and other relatives!! Moving on to the collection I prepared for today, let’s talk about the kitchen, shall we?

The kitchen is an easy room to make an impact in, decorating-wise, because there are really just a few places to bring in decorative accents. In my own kitchen, I will be going with a simple palette of gray, black and white, with just a few little hits of color…perhaps yellow? I want it to feel fresh, modern, and even a bit chic :) Let’s see what I picked out:

1. Paint color: Quahog, C2 Paint
  2. Swoop Bowl, Crate and Barrel
  3. White knife block, Crate and Barrel
  4. Tree chalkboard, The Paper Thieves
  5. Paris Photo Set in Yellow, Little Brown Pen
  6. Flora Pot Holders, Terrain
  7. Blackboard Garden Labels, Terrain

Just a few little things to pull the look together – sculptural bowls for holding fruit, a sweet handmade chalkboard on a ribbon, markers for a windowsill herb garden, screen printed pot holders, and a gorgeous set of prints to add a bit of character to the wall. What do you think?

{images: linked to individual sources above}

• Melissa de la Fuente April 12, 2010, 4:35 pm

I LOVE it! I think that you are so good at this my friend and I am excited for you and all of your upcoming adventures! It is SO natural to feel like nesting like crazy when you are pregnant so, you are not alone! :) I don’t think you sound crazy at all…and happy early anniversary! What number?
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by a necklace =-.

• Lolalina April 12, 2010, 4:49 pm

Hee hee, glad to hear I’m not nuts! ;) This will be 5 years of marriage, but we we’ve been together for 11 years!

• cathie April 12, 2010, 8:18 pm

i think it’ll look great together! particularly love that tree chalkboard! be careful & make your hubby do all the hard work ;]

• Piper April 13, 2010, 9:55 am

Can I say I’m impressed at what you’ll be tackling…while pregnant?!! I don’t have the excuse of being pregnant and still can’t seem to tackle all the house projects we have :) I love the colors you’ve chosen for the kitchen…great palette!!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{shake it up – week 15 scoop} =-.

• Lolalina April 13, 2010, 9:58 am

Ha! Don’t feel bad, Piper – I didn’t have the motivation to tackle any of these projects until I got pregnant and the nesting hormones kicked in!

• Diana April 13, 2010, 12:09 pm

This looks fabulous! Good luck with all your plans. I don’t have any pregnant nesting stories personally, but I do know my Mother-in-law was hanging drywall when she went into labor.
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Springtime in the Garden =-.

• Renee April 13, 2010, 7:01 pm

I love the palette for your kitchen, as a matter of fact, I am painting my dining room gray and kitchen yellow – yikes! Maybe I should take a cue from you and add yellow accents. I love your accessories and fabulous Etsy finds.
    Don’t fret if you can’t get it all done before the baby comes; somehow it eventually gets done and then you want to “re-do” {my personal decorating affliction – I can’t tell you how many times I have painted my bathroom}. Good luck and keep us posted!
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..A Dreamy Monday =-.

• anna April 15, 2010, 5:46 am

we are in the midst of a kitchen redo as well. thanks for the inspiration. I adore yellow in kitchens. It just looks SO right!

• Terri April 15, 2010, 1:22 pm

I love your plans for the kitchen… and that hint of yellow – fabulous! I had my worst nesting instincts with my youngest daughter, unfortunately I couldn’t do anything about it due to a couple of incidents of pre-term labor. My advice… go for it! But make sure to take a break anytime you fell you need it.
    .-= Terri´s last blog ..Covered Wagons… =-.